Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Family: A Year of Change


Having realized that it has been almost two full years since I posted any sort of blog whatsoever, I decided to bite the bullet and just go ahead. There are so many things that have actually happened and changed in that time period, and I just don't think that there is the time or the space to talk about them all. However, the main thing that has changed has been my family.


Over the course of the past few years, I have really come to the realization that family is what you make of it. Family isn't necessarily those who you're born to or those you grow up living with. For me, family is made up of those people that know you and are with you, through thick and thin, through life's ups and downs, and all the happiness and sadness that comes along with that. For some, referring to Christy or Janice or Sheri as my sister would only result in some strange looks from people who know that I grew up in a family of boys. The people that I refer to as Mom and Dad, had absolutely nothing to do with my birth. I have an Auntie Sharon and an Auntie Viv, and a few extra grandmas and grandpas around too. These are all people that I value in my life just as much as one would someone that was born into this position. My family has now grown and expanded, and I wanted to share a little bit of that.


I thought I'd post a picture from our Spring Break Seattle trip. We had originally intended to try the Great Wolf Lodge, but due to a cut open leg, couldn't go to a water park and have everyone be able to participate. I was, of course, taking said picture, so I am unfortunately not in it (other than the shadow of my head, which is very lovely if I do say so myself). This was kind of a goofy pose for everyone, which was taken across the street from our hotel, while we were waiting to catch the S.L.U.T. (South Lake Union Transit, which may or may not have had it's name changed due to the unfortunate initials that came from this name). We were headed to Hooters to eat wings for dinner. Obviously there had been a great deal of sugar consumption on the car ride to Seattle. This picture has my fiance Bob, his daughter Bryleigh (18), my daughter Katelyn (16), his daughter Jourdyn (12), my son Colton (9), and his son Jacob (8).


It has been a complicated year. The process of blending two families into one, and combining all those personalities under one roof and trying to come up with something that works for everyone is difficult. It's taken a lot of patience, and a few episodes where I locked myself into the bathroom for several hours. However, we're reaching a point where our weeks together are more relaxed and comfortable, and usually enjoyable. Okay, sometimes enjoyable. We've also had to blend together the distinct personalities of Bob's dog, Odus, whom I believe is part horse, my dog, Annabelle, who is a 5 lb diva, and my cat, Jose Cuervo, who has since taken up residence outside of the house. The fish and the frog are now mere memories......R.I.P. Mr. Bubbles and Liberace.



















4 comments:

Sheri Dickson Woodson said...

Can I tell you how excited we were to see that you had posted again!!! Yea Robyn!!!!!

I love being part of your family and am excited for the new members your bringing into it!

Lynn and Sharon Dickson said...

You are so loved and admired by your "Auntie Sharon." I am so glad you know I that is my title for you and your family for eternity!! I have loved you for so many years. Robyn, you are an amazing woman and adopted "daughter." I have surely missed you and so excited to meet your family. It does my heart good to know you are so happy. See you in a couple of months.

janice said...

Thanks for blogging R byn! I love reading your post and am so happy to be a part of your family!

We're All Wright said...

Do you think I am a little slow? It has taken me until now to see that you posted on your blog back in September! How did I miss that? Duh!
I'm proud of you and think you are a fun mom. It isn't easy but it sure is worth it. Usually =) When you want to run away we all wanna go too!(It is always fun to be around such a fun person)